The second meeting of the school council - vision and philosophy vision of University of Vietnam Japan University
12th January 2018
On January 12, 2018, the Council of Vietnam Japan University (VJU) held its second meeting on a strategic plan for the development of VJU towards 2030. Attendants to the meeting included members of the Council, Honorary Rector To Huy Rua, leaders of the University, as well as observers from the Embassy of Japan in Vietnam and the Japan International Cooperation Agency (JICA). The meeting was conducted online, connecting Hanoi and Tokyo.
VJU’s Council first listened to comments from those who have made significant contribution to VJU, namely VNUHN President Nguyen Kim Son, VJU Honorary Rector To Huy Rua, Special Advisor to the Japan-Vietnam Friendship Parliamentary Alliance Takebe Tsutomu and Ambassador Extraordinary and Japanese Ambassador to Vietnam Umeda Kunio.
The second meeting of the Council of Vietnam Japan University, VNUHN in Hanoi
Rector Furuta Motoo then outlined a strategic plan for the development of the University towards 2030, a master plan towards 2020 and a plan of action for 2018.
Mr. Nguyen Kim Son, President of Vietnam National University, Hanoi cum Chairman of VJU Council
VJU Council unanimously agreed with VJU Rector Furuta Motoo that the University could now develop quickly and sustainably, thanks to two great advantages, namely support of the Governments of Vietnam and Japan and backing of 30 Japanese partner universities and VNUHN. The Council was of the same mind with Rector Furuta Motoo who pointed out two important conditions for VJU’s development, namely, financial issues and infrastructure in Hoa Lac.
Prof. Furuta Motoo, Rector of Vietnam Japan University, VNUHN
VJU Council, during its second meeting, reached a decision on crucial points for VJU’s development, i.e. its missions, vision towards 2030 and core values.
Missions of the Vietnam Japan University:
a) To train high-quality human resources to become leaders, managers and specialists in Vietnam, Japan, East Asia and the world.
b) To carry out studies in the fields of engineering, advanced technology, and interdisciplinary sciences for sustainable development; To promote knowledge transfer between Vietnam and Japan for the community at large.
c) To contribute to undertaking VNUHN’s missions and to enhance the development of the higher education system in Vietnam.
d) To foster Vietnam-Japan relationship.
Vision of the Vietnam Japan University towards 2030: To become a leading research university in Asia in the fields of advanced technology and interdisciplinary sciences for sustainable development through promoting strengths of Vietnam and Japan.
Core values of the Vietnam Japan University: Sustainable development and liberal arts education with a strong sense of social responsibility.
Members of VJU Council attend its second meeting in Hanoi
In addition, VJU Council decided on the direction for training and research activities of VJU, placing an emphasis on cutting-edge technology, which is the strength of Japan, and interdisciplinary science.
The Rectorate Board was entrusted with a plan of action and targets for 2018, for which the Council advised the Rectorate Board to focus on two important tasks: preparing for launching undergraduate degree programs in 2019 and speeding up ODA loan disbursement for the construction of the VJU campus in Hoa Lac.
VJU Council, Term of Appointment: 2016-2021
The VJU Council is composed of 10 representatives of Vietnam and 10 representatives of Japan. Members of the VJU Council, tenure 2016 - 2021 are as follows:
1. Mr. Nguyen Kim Son, President of VNUHN, Chairman of the VJU Council
2. Prof. UCHIDA Katsuichi, Professor Emeritus and Senior Advisor at Waseda University, Former Vice President of Waseda University, Vice Chairman of the VJU Council.
3. Prof. AIZAWA Masuo, Counselor to the President, Japan Science and Technology Agency, Former President, Tokyo Institute of Technology, Member of the VJU Council.
4. Prof. CASSEM Monte, Former Vice-Chancellor of the Ritsumeikan Trust cum President of Ritsumeikan Asia Pacific University, Member of the VJU Council.
5. Mr. Pham Quang Dung, General Director of Joint Stock Commercial Bank for Foreign Trade of Vietnam, Member of the VJU Council.
6. Mr. Pham Dai Duong, Deputy Minister of Science and Technology, Member of the VJU Council.
7. Mr. Pham Dinh Doan, Chairman of Phu Thai Holdings, Vice President of Central Council of the Vietnam Business Associations, Member of the VJU Council.
8. Prof. PhD. Nguyen Dinh Duc, Head of Training Committee -VNUHN, Member of the VJU Council.
9. Prof. FURUTA Motoo, VJU Rector, Member of the VJU Council.
10. Prof. Vu Minh Giang, Chairman of VNUHN’s Council for Science and Training, Member of the VJU Council.
11. Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Viet Ha, Rector of VNUHN University of Engineering and Technology, Member of the VJU Council.
12. Assoc. Prof. Nguyen Hieu, Head of VNUHN Organization - Personnel Department, Member of the VJU Council, Head of Supervisory Committee of the Council
13. Mr. KAWAGUCHI Akira, Head of International Cooperation Department, Keidanren (Japan Business Federation), Member of the VJU Council.
14. Mr. KITAGAWA Hironobu, Chief Representative of Japan External Trade Organization (JETRO) in Hanoi, Member of the VJU Council.
15. Prof. Phan Tuan Nghia, Vice Rector of VNUHN University of Science, Member of the VJU Council.
16. Mr. OSHITA Hidekazu, Head of International Affairs, Japan Chamber of Commerce and Industry, Member of the VJU Council.
17. Mr. TAKEBE Tsutomu, Special Advisor to the Japan-Vietnam Friendship Parliamentary Alliance, Member of the VJU Council.
18. Prof. TAKEUCHI Kazuhiko, Director of Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S) at the University of Tokyo, Former Vice Director of the University of Tokyo, Member of the VJU Council.
19. Assoc. Prof. Ngo Minh Thuy, Vice Rector of VNUHN University of Languages & International Studies, Member of the VJU Council.
20. Mr. UMEDA Kunio, Japanese Ambassador to Vietnam, Member of the VJU Council.