- Area Studies
- Environmental Engineering
- Business Administration
- Infrastructure Engineering
- Public Policy
- Climate Change and Development
Master’s Program in Climate Change & Development
Climate change is one of the greatest threats that human beings, especially those living in the Asia-Pacific region have been facing with. Therefore, searching countermeasures for this catastrophe is urgent for the sustainable development, which creates many opportunities in climate change business, such as identifying the nature, analyzing, evaluating, forecasting climate change, its impacts and vulnerability, implementing climate change adaptation and mitigation measures, developing low carbon and highly resilient economy and society in harmony with nature. The Master’s Program in Climate Change and Development (MCCD) aims at training human resources who can grasp and excel in these highly demanding and sustainable job opportunities.
The Master’s Program in Climate Change and Development (MCCD) at VNU Vietnam Japan University (VJU) aims to:
- Equip students with basic, interdisciplinary knowledge of the nature, tendency, impacts, vulnerability, adaptation and mitigation of climate change in relation to development;- Equip students with competence and skills to discover, analyze, evaluate, forecast problems related to climate change and development; to propose and create climate change adaptation and mitigation measures for sustainable development;
- Train students to work as scientists/ technologists, managers/ leaders/ policy advisers/consultants on climate change business as well as to propose, implement projects and to participate in international and national forums on climate change and development;- Provide students with opportunities to pursue PhD at leading universities in Japan and around the world.
Duration: 24 months
Training Method: Fulltime
Teaching languages: English and Vietnamese
Location: Vietnam Japan University - My Dinh Campus
2. Career Orientation
The program offers a wide range of career opportunities, such as:
1) Start-up businesses in climate change;
2) Experts in science, technology and climate change management for development at enterprises, nature reserves, biosphere reserves, and tourist destinations;
3) Managers, policy makers, policy advisors in management agencies, consultants on climate change response and development in socio-political, international and non-governmental organizations;
4) Researchers and lecturers in academia.
3. Advantages of the Program
- High quality program, based on the curriculum of Ibaraki University, modified to meet the requirements of Vietnam context;- International academic environment; advanced teaching methods; modern laboratories; practical experience in one of the most vulnerable countries in the world but is a pioneer in response to climate change - Vietnam; learning and practicing the world’s leading technologies to tackle climate change from Japan; insightful guidance from well-known professors, scientists, excellent managers on climate change business in Vietnam; and minimum 50 percent of lectures from Japan;- Substantially subsidized tuition fee; full merit-based scholarships for outstanding students;- Cost of three-month internship in Japan fully covered for 50 percent of students;- Modern knowledge and skills in multicultural context, especially Japanese language and culture;- Opportunities to work in Japanese companies or further study at doctorate level at Japanese partner university
4. Japanese Coordinating University
Ibaraki University was founded in 1949. Today, the university has developed into a mid-size national university with five undergraduate colleges and four graduate schools.
5. Voice of Professors
GS. TS. Mai Trong Nhuan
Vietnam National University
Climate change is real and it is happening extremely day by day. Responding to climate change is an urgent task and a global mission with efforts from nations, organizations and individuals. Therefore, searching countermeasures for this catastrophe is urgent for the sustainable development, which creates many opportunities in climate change business, such as identifying the nature, analyzing, evaluating, forecasting climate change, its impact and vulnerability, implanting climate change adaptation and mitigation measures, developing low carbon and highly resilient economic and society in harmony with nature Responding to climate change also needs well-trained scientists and professionals experts with the tools and technologies to carry out the mission. In the context of extreme climate change, while the human resources to cope with climate change is lacking, the Master program on Climate Change and Development (MCCD) aims at training human resource who can grasp and excel in these highly demanding and sustainable job opportunities. We welcome candidates from various disciplines, from the social sciences, natural sciences and governance officers to the MCCD program at VJU to improve the knowledge and skills to meet the urgent needs of Vietnam in particular and the world in general on responding to climate change.
Prof. Dr. Kazuyuki Kita
Climate change is one of the most critical risks which mankind has been faced with. All the people in the world would be more or less damaged by the harmful effects of the climate change, and it is necessary for the sustainable development to reduce influences of the climate change. The Master program in Climate Change and Development (MCCD) is a two-year program that integrating basic science of the climate change, its impact on nature, human and society, adaptive and/or mitigative countermeasures on it in various fields including industry, agriculture, economy and so on, as well as global/local policies corresponding to it.
As part of the inter-/multi-disciplinary programs under Vietnam Japan University, the MCCD prepares your knowledge from fundamentals to the forefront on the climate change, methodology to understand its impacts, and capacities to challenge difficulties caused from it by finding and solving individual problems with attractive lectures, exercises including fieldworks, internships, and studies in Japan. The MCCD include research-oriented courses to be scientists, an educator or an expert on the climate change and management-oriented courses to be a manager, a policymaker and a social leader who has general, sustainable vision on the climate change problems, not only in Vietnam but also in foreign countries around the world. Please join our program and open the door to contributing to developing a sustainable society harmonized climate change.
6. Program structure
The curriculum consists of total 64 credits, including core courses of fundamental and professional knowledge as well as elective courses in each specificied field.
Fundamental and specific knowledge
Fundamentals of Sustainability Science
Methodology and Informatics for Sustainable Science
Fundamentals of Climate Change I
Fundamentals of Climate Change II
Climate Change Impacts and Vulnerability Assessment
Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation
Social Research on Climate Change
Economics of Climate Change
Integrated Modelling and Complex Systems Science
Climate Policy, Law and Institutions
Environment, Health and Societies
Climate Change Risk Assessment and Management
Communities and Climate Change Adaptation
Climate Projections: Uncertainty and Decision Making
Nature and ecosystem based adaptation
Geo-informatics and Data Analysis for Climate Change Response
Climate Change and Security
Climate Change Innovation
Aqua-Agriculture Adaptation to Climate Change
Energy technologies and management for climate change mitigation
Sustainable Water Management
Climate Change Adaption in Cities
Land Use Planning for Climate Change Response
Development and Sustainable Development in the Context of Climate Change
The Sociology of Climate Change
Cost-Benefit Analysis for Climate Change
Resource and Environmental Economics
Regional and Urban Development Policy
Agriculture and Rural Development Policy
Environmental Management Systems
Interdisciplinary Fieldwork on Climate Change
8. Admission information
Admission capacity: 20 students per intake
· University graduation with GPA ≥ 2.5/4.0 in majors specified in the curriculum;
· Work experience:
- No work experience is required for university graduates with Distinction or higher (GPA ≥ 2.8/4.0).
- 1 year of work experience is required for applicants with university graduates with Credit or Pass (2.5/4.0 ≤ GPA < 2.8/4.0)
· English proficiency:
- At enrollment time: Level 3/6 (IELTS 4.0 – 4.5) in Vietnamese reference framework for foreign language (Circular No.01/2014/TT-BGDĐT) or equivalent;
- By the end of year 01: Level 4/6 (IELTS 5.0 - 5.5) in Vietnamese reference framework for foreign language (Circular No.01/2014/TT-BGDĐT) or equivalent.
· Open admission
· Entrance exam: document screening and oral test
Deadline for Application submission: July 16th, 2018
Visit VJU website for admission guidelines and downloading application documents click here
Room 509, 5th Floor, My Dinh Campus
Luu Huu Phuoc Street, My Dinh 1 Ward, Nam Tu Liem District, Ha Noi, Viet Nam
Tel: (+84-4) 73 06 60 01 (Ext: 5093)
Hotline: (+84) 96 69 54 736; (+84) 96 96 38 426